1. Log Files
I use log files to help learn about when, from where, and how often traffic flows to my site. The information in the log files include:
- Internet Protocol addresses (IP)
- Types of browser
- Internet Service Provider (ISP)
- Date and time stamp
- Referring and exit pages
- Number of clicks
2. Google Analytics
Like millions of other website owners, I also use Google Analytics.
Google Analytics uses “cookies,” which are text files placed on your computer, to collect standard Internet log information and visitor behavior information in an anonymous form. The information generated by the cookie about your use of this website (including your IP address) is transmitted to Google. This information is then used to evaluate visitors’ use of the website and to compile statistical reports on website activity for stephenjohnsmith.com.
This tracking information allows me to better understand the kind of people who come to my site and what content they’re reading. This helps me make better decisions about design and writing.
Occasionally I will compile aggregate statistics about the number of visitors this site receives and browsers being used, but no personally identifying data is included in this type of reporting.
All of my activity falls within the bounds of the Google Analytics Terms of Service. http://www.google.com/analytics/terms/us.html rel=”nofollow”
Furthermore, I will never (and will not allow any third party to) use the statistical analytics tool to track or to collect any Personally Identifiable Information of visitors to my site. Google will not associate your IP address with any other data held by Google. Neither I nor Google will link, or seek to link, an IP address with the identity of a computer user. We will not associate any data gathered from this site with any Personally Identifiable Information from any source, unless you explicitly submit that information via a fill-in form on my website.
Google Analytics Privacy Overview: http://www.google.com/analytics/learn/privacy.html rel=”nofollow”
In addition to the Google cookies outlined above, and like nearly all WordPress blogs, this site stores “convenience” cookies on your computer for tracking purposes and for improving the user experience.
- Google Analytics
- Site wide statistic tracking / host = stephenjohnsmith.com
- WordPress – user convenience / host = stephenjohnsmith.com
Cookies not used:
- Third Party Advertisement Tracking – no advertisements are permitted on this site
If you wish to disable cookies, you can do so through your web browser options. Instructions for doing so and for other cookie-related management can be found on the specific web browsers’ websites.
4. Personal Information & Email
Visitors are required to provide personal information in only two cases, and the information collected is never used for any other purpose. These two cases are:
- When visitors subscribe to my mailing list. Of course anyone who wishes can choose to be removed from my mailing list at any time.
- When visitors submit a question or comment via my contact form. Just like you, I detest spam. I will always treat your privacy with the utmost respect and never publish, share, rent, sell, or in any way disclose your email address or personal information.
5. Children’s Privacy
I do not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 13. If I learn that I have personal information on a child under the age of 13, I will immediately delete that information from my systems. To encourage web safety, I strongly urge parents to go online with their kids. Here are a few tips to help make a child’s online experience safer:
- Teach kids never to give personal information, unless supervised by a parent or responsible adult. This includes name, address, phone, school, etc.
- Know the sites your kids are visiting and which sites are appropriate.
- Look for Web site privacy policies. Know how your child’s information is treated.
Check out the FTC’s site at http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/menus/consumer/data/child.shtm rel=”nofollow” for more tips on protecting children’s privacy online.
7. Changes to this policy
Last updated: May1, 2020
Contact Information: Contact Form & Email